Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Lost

The more south I go, the harder I find to get by given the fact that I don’t speak other European languages. In Barcelona, I didn’t have any difficulties in understanding Raul and Natalia as the Catalan that they speak sounds a bit like French. So a lot of time even if I don’t speak the language itself, I could still pick up a few words and had a clue of what they said depending on the context. But I think I’m more like a mute when I was in Madrid and Valencia. Though Catalan is spoken in the region of Catalonia in Spain, the different accents sometimes cross my legs. At dinner tables, I was often lost when following what people say.

BUT that didn’t prevent me from getting to know what people say, for Spanish people are far too expressive to let you miss it. It’s fun to see them talking! ‘cause there’s so much energy, gesture, and facial expressions in their talking. Stories like a bank teller being hassled by a gay man, or guys peeping girls who are in aerobics class through windows while working out have more to offer- watching them talk is like seeing them ACT! Yea… I love the language. It’s so lively!

Somehow I think Spanish people are just as noisy(or even nosier) than Chinese people while dining at restaurant…

Last-minute decisions

It’s not surprising to see something unexpected popped up along the journey. After all, it’s part of my adventure! But going to places which were not on my way initially is totally a crazy idea for me. This city Stuttgart where I am now is definitely NOT a place where I would visit had I not met Petra. Petra is a German lady who I met in Tazie. She invited me to go stay with her if I travel to Germany. I didn’t take it that seriously at that time. The thought of visiting Stuttgart didn’t come to my mind until I was in Barcelona. I was having great time with Rual and Natalia in Barcelona and I thought it would be neat to stay with friends. So I emailed to Perta and later Susana. Both of them replied! So there I was in Spain!

Then started my search for plane flying to Stuttgart. It wasn’t an easy thing! I was nearly desperate as I saw all the exorbitant prices!!! Oh I’m gonna go broke if I pay for that. I thought.

Fortunately, I managed to get a more reasonable-priced ticket with Sus’ effort, but then the date interrupted my entire plan!!! Instead of July 9, on which date I wanted to leave, the date available for the plane was July 14! So … I was kind of “forced” to stay longer in Spain (actually I enjoy the type of lay-back life in Valencia… I don’t mind staying for longer haha- if I have a vacation which lasts FOREVER!).

That afternoon when I was flipping through the travel guidebook, I thought “okay now I got a few extra days in Spain why not go to Madrid?” I don’t wanna leave Spain without seeing Madrid.

A second round of search began. We got into internet, looked for place to stay and later went to the train station and checked the train schedule with the ticket office. Everything went fine. I’ m glad that I was able to find one nice cheap hostel and get the ticket.

All these were done the day just before I went to Madrid. Everything is just impromptu- I was going a place where I had NO idea of where to stay and whether I could get there or not.


It's hilarious and...


it’s the craziest thing I’ve ever done! :-P

Susana

I know I’ve kind of mentioned that before. Still- I wanna say I enjoy my stay with Susana SO much. I’m grateful for EVERYTHING that she and her family did for me. It was a truly make-yourself-home experience. I’m grateful this family is so generous in sharing EVERYTHING with me. Their bed, their laundry, their fridge, their food, their clothes, their beach, their language, their Valencia, their Spain!

The other day when I was talking to my mom, she said I MUST treat Susana like a queen when she comes to Hong Kong. True. I guess I’m gonna owe this family everything that they share with me until the day that they come to Hong Kong.


Or else…



they would be like my credit card- I can never pay them back! ;-)

No comments: