Sunday, February 27, 2005

爭相請客

I used to think this snobbish and calculating cultural phenomenon is only popular among Chinese. But dining with several Canadians, a Hong Kong Chinese and a Chinese Chinese in a Hong Kong-style restaurant this afternoon reminds me that-- nobody is immune to certain downside of "cultural exchange."

In the first place, I hate the idea of fighting for the bill at the end of the meals! I'm not sure if the idea of fighting for bill to save one's face still prevails in contemporary Chinese society('cause I don't have many Chinese Chinese friends so far). I have never done and will never do that in my life! Eating out with friends is a "social activity" that I always enjoy but i don't see there's any point in trying to treat each other instead of sharing the bill among us. It irritated me to see some people trying to put the money into each other's pockets at the table. Forgive me for saying this -- this is the most undesirable, disgraceful, unpleasant, detestable, uncivilized ... (I can go on with a list!!!) side of Chinese Chinese character!!! I maybe biased but I've never come across any Hong Kong Chinese who would do that!

More importantly, this type of hypocritical act somehow spreads to other people. The Canadian couple, Kathy and Dave, who have spent 20 years in Thailand as missionaries, "won the victory" over the bill fight and paid for the lunch last week, saying that "We've been in Asia for a long time. We are used to Asian habit!"

Oh my?! When has this disdainful act become our -- we Asians' -- habit???

Damn it! Shame on those Chinese who fight for bill among themselves and spread this low and cheap practice to others who don't really understand the Chinese culture! Well, they could excuse themselves if they were still in China. But come on-- Given the fact that they are now in Canada, I feel nothing but shameful for being at the same table with people who still don't realize it's absolutely just and fair to pay for our own meals!!!!

I wonder when this particular flaw in most Chinese will be removed from their characters ...

討厭 !!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Consider the power of being able to create incoming links to your site any time you want them...