Thursday, March 10, 2005

Done!

"A Global Voice or a Multitude of Thriving Cultures--The Homogeneity and Heterogeneity and Hip Hop Culture" ...

Hold on-- where's your mind? You're talking about the commodification and commercialization... plus globalization is used as a counter argument!

Okay...

"A ... Hum ...

Hum...

*trying to think of a big word*

...

PUPPET! !!!

"A Puppet Voice or A Multitude of Thriving Cultures-- The Homogeneity and Heterogeneity of Hip Hop culture"

Done!

Nope-- the word "culture" appears twice... doesn't sound right...

Hum...

Aiya...

Sigh!

TAKE IT OUT --

"A Puppet Voice or a Multitude of Thriving Cultures-- The Homogeneity and Heterogeneity of Hip Hop"

There you go! *feeling proud of myself-- Carlotta you're a genius!!!*

I like big and graceful words-- that makes me feel "professional" ... hehe ... to satisfy my own ego to be frank... :-P

Anyway, I'm done!

****

After 7 years in administration, Tung(the HKSAR chief executive) announced his resignation today. There had been rumors that he was demanded to step down by the central government due to his inability to rule over the increasingly politicized former British colony (At least this is what I've heard so far). Being half of the world away, there isn't much I can say at this point. But it struck me when I came to realize it has been 7 years since the handover of Hong Kong from Britain. 7 years-- the Asian financial crisis in 1997 (I can still recall the Hang Seng Index plummeted from over 10,000 to 6,000 or sth. over few days!!!) , the closing of airport in Kai Tak, a new airport in Chek Lap Kok, endless firework displays before and after the handover, announcement about the construction of Disneyland, resignation of former Secretary Anson Chan, unemployment rate hitting a record high of 9 %(? corrrect me if I'm wrong), the reinterpretation about the right of above -- decision of the Court of Final Appeal overruled, outbreak of SARS, Article 23 legislation, a protest of half of a million 2 years ago ...

and comes the resignation of Tung!

Well, recalling all these events pulled me back to the history of Hong Kong. At a young age, I heard of a lot of atrocities of the Communist Party back then from my dad. All those unscrupulous tactics to drive out their rivals, unjust policies, and ruthless killing of civilians-- Yea you can tell--He hates the Communist Party! My dad is political! Not me back then-- I used to think what he said was too subjective. His point of view is bound to personal experience and lacks a perspective of the greater picture. Plus -- I grew fed up of those old tale stories! :-( My mom, however, reminded me that one day I would understand 'cause it was hard to separate yourself from the history. You're part of it!!!

True. I find it impossible to understand a person without knowing where s/he comes from and what s/he has been through. Not just the personal experience, but the connection of one's personal experience to a greater world in which s/he lives. An individual's biography doesnt make enough sense until it is perceived in the world/ society's history, for ... they are so intricately interwoven and interrelated to each other!

As I recollected all those events, I realized I've been a witness to so many of these historical events!! I myself am a recorder of history! I don't know how much these events have been shaping my values, attitudes, and behaviors-- the way I am-- but what I'm sure is that these are the things that I've been through before I come to where i am.

oh anyways enough about this ...

I got so little first-hand news here. This piece of news is actually the first one that triggered my nerve, my thrist :-P ever since I'm here! If anyone of you got the latest development--drop me a few words!!!

I don't wanna look dumb when I'm back.

2 comments:

Nikman Shah said...

Hmmm... let me guess. R u a university student currently studying at a Canadian university? And you're from Hong Kong, right?

KarLOhTah_c said...

HAHAHA - You bet!