Wednesday, January 26, 2005

What can I do with an English degree?

"What can I do with an English degree? "

That's the question I frequently ask. I don't mean to devalue anybody who has a strong interest in the English literature, nor anyone who has an English degree, master degree, or Ph. D whatever! I've never been proud to be an English major, unlike most of my classmates. I would very much like to immerse myself in the passionate Shakespearean plays, appreciate the music of those beautiful poems, and embrace the richness of the English language. YET I've never found it's such a big deal to be an English major! Never! English has been so much part of myself -- that for so long--I've taken it for granted!

Not until today did I start to appreciate where an English degree would take me. Whether people recognize it immediately or not, students with a BA in English have spent at least 3 years training in the skills of critical reading, language and discourse analysis, logical thought, the persuasive writing of argument, and documentation. What fascinated me most was -- you know how to listen, you know how to speak, you know how to write, you know how to communicate! Yea you may not know everything, BUT what you don't know is always on the internet! Internet! Internet! (Haha...that's what the speaker emphasized...) And what matters most is NOT whether you know it or not. Indeed, it's a matter of how FAST you have access to it.

Amazing! I'm totally convinced by the speakers this afternoon, for only those who have such skills at base excel in careers! Amazing! It totally changed how I see graduating with an English degree and assured me with reasons to believe "There IS point to be an English major!" which is sth I've been asking since last year.

Admittedly, I wasn't happy to be an English major. I was SO SO upset to know that I ended up getting into the English dept @ CUHK last year... Well, it's nothing shameful I know. But it's just that I've been asking "What's the point?" Or if not, I would grumble that "There's no point in studying this and that!"

Not many people knew that, though. Not even my friends, or family. I still remember all those congratulations from some of them when they got to know my admission. They probably thought it was good.

Ironic, eh?

But today's talk did inspire me. I came to realize and acknowledge that it is the imagination, critical thought, and the capability to communicate effectively which is the essence of tertiary training in literature and language.

***

"Dare to dream, be honest to what inspires you, and try to put whatever talents and skills, or anything you have into it."

1 comment:

KarLOhTah_c said...

Thx for asking! My reply has been sent to you via ICQ. Hope you get that!